Close
Skip to content
  • Careers Advice including Apprenticeships

Careers Options

If you are not sure what career you could pursue in the NHS take this simple test

 

https://www.stepintothenhs.nhs.uk/

 

Please contact us if you would like further information about any Primary or Community Care Career.

An overview of apprenticeships

Apprenticeships are a fantastic opportunity to grow your own talent and bring fresh ideas into your practice. Apprenticeships broaden the scope of training and development for existing staff, whilst attracting new people to improve diversity within the workplace and bridging gaps in supply.

Bucks Training Hub (BTH) is working with local Federations and other partners to support practices to recruit Apprentices within Primary Care.

There are a wide range of clinical and non-clinical apprenticeships available, which can be a great way to fill a particular need in your practice. Non-clinical roles can help build skills in areas such as administration, customer service, health care, finance and IT for example.  As well as your practice providing on-the-job training, apprentices will study with a training provider of your choice.

To find out more about apprenticeships in Primary Care, click here

Easy four step process

1

Identify a gap within your surgery and decide on the job role you wish to fill

2

Identify and contact the training provider for that job role

3

Advertise and recruit

4

Provide on-going support to the apprentice

Paying for apprenticeship training

Employers with a pay bill over £3 million each year, pay an apprenticeship levy. Levy paying employers can spend apprenticeship levy funding on apprenticeship training. Apprenticeship levy can only be used to fund eligible training costs.

How to access funding if you aren’t a levy paying employer

Non-levy paying employers can reserve 95% of the apprenticeship cost through government funding. This is called ‘co-investment’. Non-levy employers pay 5% towards the cost of apprenticeship training. The government will pay the rest (95%) up to the funding band maximum. The 95% funding is paid by the Government straight to the provider. The 5% employer contribution is paid to the provider by the employer.

Apprenticeships can also be funded via levy transfers; this is when a levy paying employer agrees to fund the course fees for an apprentice who is employed by a different employer.

How do I pay for apprenticeship training?

Other financial support

Some apprenticeships, such as Nursing Associate & Registered Nurse Degree Apprenticeship, are supported by funding grants from HEE. Additionally the Nursing Associate and Nursing Associate Apprentice are ARRS (Additional Roles Reimbursement Scheme) roles, which means their whole salary can be reimbursed, if employed by the PCN.

Please contact Bucks Training Hub for further advice and information.

Nursing Associate Apprenticeship- Become a vital part of the wider nursing team

What is a Nursing Associate?

A Nursing Associate is a new support role in England, registered with the Nursing & Midwifery Council (NMC), that bridges the gap between Healthcare Support Workers and Registered Nurses to deliver hands-on, person-centred care as part of the nursing team. Nursing Associates work independently under the direct and indirect supervision of the Registered Nurse.

As a Nursing Associate Apprentice you ‘learn whilst you earn’ and are paid a salary by your employer as you complete your training in the workplace. It is a two year programme with an Approved Education Institution (AEI), completing a Nursing Associate Foundation Degree (Level 5).

To find out more:

Contact bucks.traininghub@nhs.net to find out more, or for information on applying.

 

Useful Links

Buckinghamshire New University – Nursing Associate

Degree Apprenticeships – Learn more here – UCAS